- Волжский трубный завод
- Северский трубный завод
- Синарский трубный завод
- Таганрогский металлургический
- Орский машиностроительный
- ТМК Нефтегазсервис
- TMK IPSCO
- TMK UP Premium Connections
- TMK Europe GmbH
- TMK Italia s.r.l.
- TMK GIPI
- TMK Completions
Environmental impact management
TMK is implementing environmental policy aimed at maintaining favourable environment in the rapidly growing industry. According to the principles of such policy, our efforts are aimed at further improving environmental efficiency of technological processes and reducing consumption of water resources.
In its activities, the Company follows the international environmental protection initiatives and agreements, as well as complies with the national environmental requirements and regulations. We are conducting systematic work in the field of environmental impact management. 11 plants are certified according to the international standard ISO 14001: 2004 “Environmental Management System”; preparation for transition to the new version of ISO 14001: 2015 was initiated. International auditors annually confirm their commitment to continuous improvement of environmental compliance management.
Environmental investment – transition to the best available technologies
Throughout 15 years of the Company’s activity when conducting the extensive production reconstruction and modernization of the production process, we have chosen the best up-to-date technologies and equipment with high environmental performance to be implemented.
- “green” investments amounted to 6.5 billion roubles, 5.9 billion roubles of which were developed by Russian companies;
- more than 200 environmental protection measures were implemented, while 140 of which were implemented at Russian enterprises.
After implementation of investment and organizational and technical measures at Russian enterprises, we have the following performance:
- gross emissions of steel production decreased by 2 times;
- water consumption for production was reduced by 1.3 times;
- sewage water volume was reduced by 1.4 times;
- share of recycling water supply amounted to 95%;
- 3.8 million tons of the earlier accumulated waste were processed;
- only 6.7% of the accumulated waste was sent for disposal.
Currently, TMK is implementing the following target programs:
- Production waste management.
- Preparation for transition to technological rationing on the basis of Russian BAT.
The following projects are being implemented:
- Rational use of water resources and reducing sewage waters.
- Introduction of automated accounting systems for waste, emissions, and water resources.
- Carbon aspects are taken into account in determining the Company’s strategic development.
- Carbon theme is included in the risk management and business processes of the Company.
- In 2006, the Company took the initiative for making an assessment of greenhouse gas emissions at the plants since 1990.
- In 2010, Joint Implementation Project “Reconstruction of steelmaking at Seversky Pipe Plant” received a letter of approval from the Russian Government, and 1.56 million tons of ERUs were sold.
- Currently, greenhouse gas emission calculation methodology of the Ministry of Natural Resources of the Russian Federation has been tested successfully at the Company’s plants.
- During the reporting period, greenhouse gas emissions throughout the Company decreased by 3%.
In order to reduce the negative impact on the air, we use modern technologies with a high degree of purification of industrial emissions. To comply with the established impact standards, we are conducting annual arrangements, including current and capital repairs of cleaning equipment, to improve the efficiency of operation of gas purification systems. TMK’s expenditures for air protection amounted to USD 3 million.
As part of compliance with the sanitary legislation requirements, Volzhsky Pipe Plant JSC approved the reduced sanitary protection zone. The other Russian plants of the Company continue their work to establish the reduced sanitary protection zone.
Main activities and results:
- Volzhsky Pipe Plant replaced 8 640 bag filters to ensure the smooth operation of the steel furnace gas purification system;
- Seversky Pipe Plant installed noise-attenuating devices in the pipe welding shop; the noise level is reduced by 10 dB;
- TMK NGS-BUZULUK purchased two dust-collecting units UVP-2000A;
- Catoosa plant (American Division) is implementing a dust suppression system reconstruction project.
Water bodies impact management
Water consumption and water bodies negative impact reduction is a strategic area in water bodies impact management. Our plants comprehensively solve the problem of water resources protection, thus gradually optimizing water consumption, water distribution, efficient use, and sewage water reduction. The prerequisite for commissioning new production capacities, production modernization and reconstruction of the Company’s production plants is transition to recycling water supply.
As a result of systematic work on water bodies impact management, the following figures were reached in 2015 compared with the previous year:
- water withdrawals from surface water bodies were reduced by 6%;
- waste water amount was reduced by 4.8%;
- content of pollutants in sewage water directed to water bodies was reduced by 2.8%.
Main activities and results:
- Volzhsky Pipe Plant conducted cleaning of recirculation system scale pit SR-9 TPC-3, thus reducing oil product content in conventionally clean drains;
- Seversky Pipe Plant completed construction of treatment facilities for graphite-bearing drains;
- SinTZ reduced fresh process water consumption by 80 thousand m3 after cleaning crib head wall and receiving chambers at the Isetsky water intake facility;
- in order to reduce seawater intake volume, TAGMET completed installation of additional cooling tower in the water treatment unit of the ladle furnace and continuous casting machine;
- in order to prevent juvenile fish death, TAGMET conducted repairs and cleaning of fish protection devices in the pump suction lines of the first stage pumping station, as well as completed works on cleaning water protection zone of the Azov Sea from pollution;
- Koppel plant completed construction of waste water treatment plant: conditionally clean hot and cold water tank, intrashop primary settlers.
The Company’s plants are carrying out scheduled work to reduce formation and placement of waste in the environment, as well as to increase its recycling. Previously accumulated waste is being processed, and land disturbed as a result of past economic activity is being restored. In 2015, the Company spent USD 5.7 million for waste impact environment protection and USD 1.1 million for measures related to land protection and reclamation.
The main results of the systematic performance of the goals set in 2015 are as follows:
- waste generation was reduced by 11%;
- 58% of waste generated was used in-house;
- 80 types of waste were transferred to by-products for sale;
- 400 thousand tons of waste were sold to other companies for recycling.
Main activities and results:
- Volzhsky Pipe Plant closed an industrial waste landfill of Hazard Class 3-4-5. When implementing the project, innovative technologies were used to exclude negative impact on the environment. Restored land were returned to Volzhsky;
- SinTZ continues reclamation of the slurry tank cards No. 2 and No. 3;
- TMK-CHERMET carried out dumping and strengthening of the hard coating at three production sites to avoid harmful effects on the soil;
- Artrome made protective coating in its precision tube production shop to prevent ingress of oil into the soil;
- TMK GIPI completed construction of a specialized area designed for storing semi-liquid emulsion waste.