Environmental impact management
TMK is implementing Environmental policy aimed at maintaining favourable environment in the rapidly growing industry. According to the principles of such policy, our efforts are aimed at further improving environmental efficiency of technological processes and reducing consumption of water resources.
In its activities, the Company follows the international environmental protection initiatives and agreements, as well as complies with the national environmental requirements and regulations. We are conducting systematic work in the field of environmental impact management. 11 plants are certified according to the international standard ISO 14001: 2004 “Environmental Management System”; preparation for transition to the new version of ISO 14001: 2015 was initiated. International auditors annually confirm their commitment to continuous improvement of environmental compliance management.
Environmental investment – transition to the best available technologies
Throughout 10 years of the Company’s activity when conducting the extensive production reconstruction and modernization of the production process, we have chosen the best up-to-date technologies and equipment with high environmental performance to be implemented.
- “green” investments amounted to 6.5 billion roubles, 5.9 billion roubles of which were developed by Russian companies;
- more than 200 environmental protection measures were implemented, while 140 of which were implemented at Russian enterprises.
After implementation of investment and organizational and technical measures at Russian enterprises, we have the following performance:
- gross emissions of steel production decreased by 2 times;
- water consumption for production was reduced by 1.3 times;
- sewage water volume was reduced by 1.4 times;
- share of recycling water supply amounted to 95%;
- 3.8 million tons of the earlier accumulated waste were processed.
Currently, TMK is implementing the following target programs:
- Production waste management.
- Preparation for transition to technological rationing on the basis of Russian BAT.
The following projects are being implemented:
- Rational use of water resources and reducing sewage waters.
- Introduction of automated accounting systems for waste, emissions, and water resources.
- Carbon aspects are taken into account in determining the Company’s strategic development.
- Carbon theme is included in the risk management and business processes of the Company.
- In 2006, the Company took the initiative for making an assessment of greenhouse gas emissions at the plants since 1990.
- In 2010, Joint Implementation Project “Reconstruction of steelmaking at Seversky Pipe Plant” received a letter of approval from the Russian Government, and 1.56 million tons of ERUs were sold.
- Currently, greenhouse gas emission calculation methodology of the Ministry of Natural Resources of the Russian Federation has been tested successfully at the Company’s plants.
- During 2017, greenhouse gas emissions throughout the Company decreased by 3%.
In order to reduce the negative impact on the air, we use modern technologies with a high degree of purification of industrial emissions. To comply with the established impact standards, we are conducting annual arrangements, including current and capital repairs of cleaning equipment, to improve the efficiency of operation of gas purification systems. TMK’s expenditures for air protection amounted to USD 3 million.
As part of compliance with the sanitary legislation requirements, Volzhsky Pipe Plant JSC approved the reduced sanitary protection zone. The other Russian plants of the Company continue their work to establish the reduced sanitary protection zone.
Main activities and results:
- Volzhsky Pipe Plant replaced 8 640 bag filters to ensure the smooth operation of the steel furnace gas purification system;
- Seversky Pipe Plant installed noise-attenuating devices in the pipe welding shop; the noise level is reduced by 10 dB;
- TMK NGS-BUZULUK purchased two dust-collecting units UVP-2000A.
Water bodies impact management
Water consumption and water bodies negative impact reduction is a strategic area in water bodies impact management. Our plants comprehensively solve the problem of water resources protection, thus gradually optimizing water consumption, water distribution, efficient use, and sewage water reduction. The prerequisite for commissioning new production capacities, production modernization and reconstruction of the Company’s production plants is transition to recycling water supply.
- TMK’s environmental expenditures increased in 2018 by 5% year-on-year.
- External environmental training and awareness programs completed by 817 TMK’s employees and managers across all levels.
- 11 of the Company’s plants confirmed their compliance with ISO 14001:2015.
- Percentage of water recycled and reused by TMK’s Russian plants reached 95.32%.
- Total pollutant emissions decreased by 1% year-on-year.
- A total of 26 investment initiatives undertaken, aimed at fulfilling the requirements of national legislation, ensuring environmental safety and a favorable environment
- Despite an increase in output, overall water consumption levels remained flat year-on-year
- We recognize our social responsibility for protecting the environment across our footprint.
- Environmental targets are an integral part of TMK Group’s Development Strategy.
- In our operations, we are guided by international environmental protection initiatives and treaties, and comply with local environmental standards and regulations.